- The International Dialects of English Archive: http://web.ku.edu/~idea/index.htm
- Sounds Familiar? Accents and Dialects of the UK: http://www.bl.uk/learning/langlit/sounds/
- One in eight million project: http://www.nytimes.com/packages/html/nyregion/1-in-8-million/
- "Project We Say Tomato," http://duber.com/wesaytomato/2005/tomatoes.html, offers samples of lots of various accents (both L1 and L2) reading the same text.
- Mike Marzio's Real English features native speakers from several different English-speaking countries in addition to some non-native speakers with a variety of accents. http://www.real-english.com/
- English Central, http://www.englishcentral.com
- Buying or Leasing a Car (the two persons talking in this activity are an American friend from Boston and a Kuwaiti: http://alothman-b.tripod.com/cars_listening_chatting.htm
- Two different American Dialects: http://alothman-b.tripod.com/culture_vinny.htm
- British Council Elementary podcasts, which come with transcripts, exercises, etc. There is also more listening material on the site too, aimed at different levels: http://learnenglish.britishcouncil.org/en/elementary-podcasts
- Elllo, http://www.elllo.org
- ESL-Lab (http://www.esl-lab.com) - you can choose the level of the activity (easy/medium/ difficult)
- NPR, http://www.npr.org
- Woices, http://woices.com
- CBC (Canadian) podcasts: http://www.cbc.ca/podcasting/pastpodcasts. html. They are available on a wide variety of topics--science (quirks and quarks/nature of things), business, medical, arts, etc., as well as news and current events. It's not unusual to hear interviews with people with a variety of accents.
Thursday, September 23, 2010
Online listening in various accents
From the Webheads group (part of my "Personal Learning Network") Listening material online for ESL/EFL learners, in English but in different accents, and not just native speakers. Each link comes from an experienced ESL teacher. I have not checked out every link on the list, although I am already familiar with some of the sites.