Bilingual dictionaries are necessary but not your best learning or reference too. Most, especially the small paperback version do not distinguish between different meanings and best usages. Nor do they provide examples. As soon as possible, start using an English-English dictionary. Not all dictionaries equally suitble for ESL learners. A category referred to as learner's dictionaries is designed for use by non-native speakers
Here are some useful dictionary choices. A number include audio files for correct pronunciation. Browsw them to see which one best suits you. You should also purchase your own paper copy of a good learner's dictionary. When you are further along in your studies, buy a GOOD English-English dictionary.
As part of reading/vocab development, use on-line dictionaries from this list (& search for more if you wish) to find multiple sentences using assigned target words. In the past, I've asked students to write original sentences, but there are too many errors this way, and the sentences are often too vague to show a clear context. Be “warned” that many samples are only phrases or sentence fragments. You will need to be develop the sample phrase into a complete sentence.
A good online biligual dictionary http://www.wordreference.com
Or search "dictionary + english + [your language]"
- The Internet Picture Dictionary http://www.pdictionary.com/
- Visual dictionary http://www.infovisual.info/
- Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English Online http://pewebdic2.cw.idm.fr/
- Cambridge Dictionaries online, select Learner's or Advanced Learner's at http://dictionary.cambridge.org/
- Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary http://www.oup.com/elt/oald/
- Merriam-Webster's Learners Dictionary http://www.learnersdictionary.com/
- English Learner Dictionaries for English as a Second Language http://esl.about.com/od/engilshvocabulary/tp/tp_dict.htm
- Heinle's Newbury House Dictionary of American English http://nhd.heinle.com/
Post a comment to let us know what you think of these resources and which one you would recommend.